Come To Jesus Moment
- Whitney Luckett [ 11/5/2014 - 19:18 ] #This being Colorado Springs, we thought that might get your attention!
We LOVE live music in our home. NO question about that. We've been bringing top tier singer songwriters here to you for 14 years now. The low turnouts recently cause us to doubt that we provide the entertainment that you, our customers, our friends, will support.
We have not come close to selling out either Richard Shindell or Cheryl Wheeler and we're only one week out from Richard's evening here. They both regularly sell out 1.000+ seat venues. There are people flying in from out of state to see Richard live in the house because they can't imagine that he would ever do a house concert! Yet we're not getting similar responses from our local audience.
Actions speak louder than words, my friends. If we do not have decent sales for the next two concerts, these may well be our last concerts. Whitney can't take the stress of worrying about whether or not the concerts will sell out on top of everything else on her plate. This is supposed to be fun folks!!!
Richard Shindell - Wednesday November 12
- Whitney Luckett [ 10/16/2014 - 20:38 ] #Live - AT THE HOUSE - not an outside venue - we are excited to present singer / songwriter Richard Shindell. Richard lives in Buenos Aires and rarely tours in the United States, but we were lucky enough to get a chance to bring him through, albeit on a Wednesday night. The chance to be up close and personal with songwriters like Richard is what this series is all about.
We first heard Richard back in 1998 when Whitney fell under his spell as he comprised one third of Cry, Cry, Cry and covered the story of the Montana firefighters caught in a raging fire in Cold Missouri Waters. Reviewers from LA Weekly to USA Today to the New York Times to the Wall Street Journal have lauded his work. His ability to tell stories authentically from many points of view remains his strong suit.
Please join us for what promises to be an exceptional evening with master singer / songwriter?!
Shindell is a master builder of songs,
yet always leading listeners toward the emotional essence of the moment
or character he is evoking. As with all master craftsmen, knowing what
to leave out is as important to him as what he puts in. Shindell has
uncanny sense of the theater of a song, building his ballads sparely and
subtly, set to sweeping graceful melodies.
by SCOTT ALARICK, The Boston Globe
It's December - Must Be Cheryl Wheeler Time!
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/13/2014 - 20:40 ] #We are thrilled to welcome back Cheryl Wheeler for another December night up on the hill. It's kind of like having your curmudgeonly big sister visit - the one who
says she despises your kids, but secretly really adores them? And
you, in turn, hope that your kids grow up with even a fraction of her
wit, her talent and her intelligence!
It's hard to describe how sharp her wit is, but take a look at this and then join us for another great evening here. Her concerts here are marvelous because she's so close to the audience and THAT is a game changer. Come join us and see what we mean!
Date: Sunday December 7th
Time: 7:00 PM
Tickets: $30 in advance
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/13/2014 - 20:10 ] # Friends House
Concert Series returns next month - please send checks made out to FHC
to the following address or buy your tickets on line at Eventbrite.
Friends House Concerts
PO Box 38943
Colorado Springs, CO 80937
Date: WEDNESDAY November 12, 2014
Time: 7:15 PM
Doors Open: 6:15
Artist Donation: $30
Date: Sunday December 7, 2014
Time: 7:00 PM
Doors Open: 6:30 PM
Artist Donation: $30
Date: Saturday, January 17, 2014
Time: 7:30 PM
Doors Open: 6:30 PM
Artist Donation: $30
TOMORROW!!! Chris Smither
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/13/2014 - 19:50 ] #Tomorrow night is Chris Smither at the BEST new commercial venue in town, the Gold Room, over next to the Wyndham Mining Exchange downtown. HOPEFULLY you were able to join us for the BASKERY show, but if you weren't, you really missed an amazing evening!
But you can see a guaranteed great show in this Art Deco room tomorrow night when Chris Smither comes to town again. You all know what a fan Whitney is of Chris Smither, so you can understand what a big deal it was for us to give up his concert here at the house. To get a taste of what he's like, check out the Music FOG video on this prototype of our new Rocky Mountain Highway website.
Click here and pick up a pair of tickets for tomorrow night's show. It will be incredible. LaRue - this one's for you!
- Whitney Luckett [ 8/24/2014 - 21:25 ] #A special thank you to all who have ALREADY contacted us about volunteering for Rocky Mountain Highway. We will have so much fun as the concert series gears up, not to mention next year at MeadowGrass! There is still room for volunteers to get involved in many different ways: volunteering at festivals, organizing events. Please contact us here.
Baskery Opens The Gold Room Concert Series This Coming Sunday
- Whitney Luckett [ 8/24/2014 - 20:12 ] #These three Swedish sisters (how do you think that we pulled in Absolut as a sponsor?!) self describe themselves as Banjopunk. Hmmmm While we're not quite sure what that really means, but we do enjoy their videos and have seen nothing but rave reviews of their work.
Join us for the first of our Gold Room Concert Series. Click here for tickets to the PERFECT way to spend the last weekend of summer.
Announcing The Gold Room Series!
- Whitney Luckett [ 8/24/2014 - 17:38 ] #
Last month, Rocky Mountain Highway directors met with the Gold Room's founder, Perry Sanders, and discovered that
we all have a passion for bringing extraordinary singer / songwriters
to Colorado Springs. To celebrate Arts month in Colorado Springs, we excitedly announce a partnership with Absolut Vodka, The Gold Room and the Mining Exchange called The Gold Room Concert Series.
The series will feature nationally touring singer / songwriters with styles that rang from acoustic punk, to folk blues to jam grass to Grammy winning country to rock and roll. We're so excited about hosting the series in this vibrant, new downtown venue, we moved the September Chris Smither concert from Friends House Concerts to downtown.
The first of our concerts is one week from tonight - Sunday August 31.
We've been together for almost 13 years now - please come out to support the concerts at The Gold Room? Give it a chance, we think you will like it! The sound system was set up by Buddha Boys, the same guys that join us at the house every time...
Next Saturday - The Iguanas!
- Whitney Luckett [ 7/19/2014 - 16:40 ] #
Join us next Saturday for The Iguanas live up in Woodland Park at beautiful Aspen Valley Ranch. There will be great food AND music in this incredible location. We can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon / evening, then sitting on a blanket in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains listening to this New Orleans based "Americana" band. They define a sound of Americana that crosses cultures, styles, genres, even languages. While their languid tones harken from 'Nawlins, their music has been described as everything from Chicano rock, to R&B to Conjunto. It's going to be a memorable afternoon up in the shadow of Pikes Peak!
Remember to contact Whitney if you feel like volunteering at the concert...
Ever Wanted To Volunteer?
- Whitney Luckett [ 7/19/2014 - 15:35 ] #ONE of the great aspects about this music venture over the last 13 years has been the community that developed up around it. People always ask us WHY would you ever open your house to complete strangers? In our minds, strangers are just friends we haven't met yet, right!?
If you want to be a bigger part of this community - now you have your chance! Rocky Mountain Highway is building a database of volunteers for our music events in the Pikes Peak region. We need people to man the door here at FHC, to help with parking, to take care of the green room for the artists, help us with set up and take down and even put up signs around town.
If you think that any of that sounds like fun (in exchange for great live music, of course!) then please get in touch with Whitney and we'll add you to our list of special friends. The first event that we need volunteers for is The Iguanas concert next weekend up at Aspen Valley Ranch in Woodland Park.
Please email Whitney @ firstname.lastname@example.org to get added to our on-going list of RMH volunteers.
Peter Mulvey, NEXT THURSDAY, at Stargazers and we have a couple of free tickets here...
- Whitney Luckett [ 6/4/2014 - 20:37 ] #Peter Mulvey's latest release, Silver Ladder, produced by legend Chuck Prophet is winning high praise in all corners. Peter plays Stargazers next week as part of this CD's release tour. Because we're NOT hosting him here at the house - we have 5 sets of tickets to give away to next Thursday's show. Contact us to pick up a pair of these tickets - email@example.com. What a great way to spend a summer Thursday evening! Grab a couple of friends and enjoy a steal of a concert over at Stargazers.
PLEASE come out and support Peter - he's an incredible artist - in all senses of the word. You can check out his official video release here for Silver Ladder.
Veteran singer songwriter’s Chuck Prophet-produces, career-assessing 16th
The eclectic range of Mulvey’s tireless past pays
handsome dividends on this stylistically sweeping, LA-recorded album. A
crack specially convened band (including regular Dylan drummer David
Kemper) adhere to his well-established live and direct recording
approach and allow the performer’s deeply matured, naturally wry and
hard-edged Americana to attain full, flowing life. From the raunchy
melodic pop of “Sympathies” through suburban requiem “Remember the
Milkman”, the dizzying weirdness of “If You Shoot At A King” and even
Led Zeppelin modal thunder on “Copenhagen Airport”, Mulvey’s troubled
visions attain striking clarity.
- Gavin Martin, Uncut
Date: Thursday, June 12, 2014
Place: Stargazers Theater
Price: $10 - A STEAL at this price Click here for ticketing
Chris Smither At The Gold Room
- Whitney Luckett [ 6/4/2014 - 19:38 ] #
Instead of going on and on about how incredible Chris Smither is, we're just going to let you read what Rolling Stone had to say about one of Whitney's favorite artists. Chris remains one of her inspirations for live music in the house... Rolling Stone writer, David Fricke, summarized his 10 favorite acts at this year's New Orleans' Jazz Fest and Chris Smither made his list. He had this to say about Chris' performance: Chris Smither, Allison Miner Music Heritage Stage, April 26th, 12:30 P.M.
conducted this interview but was, in every other way, a magnetized fan
in the audience. Smither, a folk-blues singer-songwriter admired and
covered by vocalists such as Bonnie Raitt and Emmylou Harris, grew up in
New Orleans and told illuminating stories about trying to be a solo cat
in a saxophone and trombone city in the Sixties – learning from Lightnin' Hopkins records and the New Orleans-based bluesman Babe Stovall – then running with fellow New Dylans like Townes Van Zandt.
Smither illustrated each tale with brawny picking and the drawling
emotion in his voice, in performances of "Devil Got Your Woman" and
"Love You Like a Man." Smither, based in Massachusetts, came home last
year to cut a forthcoming two-CD retrospective, Still on the Levee (Signature Sounds). It sounds like he never left. [Click here for the full article.]
Here is a new link to tickets for Chris Smither at the Gold Room.
Rocky Mountain Highway Events
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/20/2014 - 23:19 ] #Thank you to EVERYONE who turned out for MeadowGrass. This year's festival was reportedly the best - despite the torrential rains that fell on both Friday and Saturday nights. Thank goodness for the tent! Whitney's personal highlight was when Chadwick Stokes (Dispatch and State Radio) came off stage and gave her a huge hug...
In the mean time, RMH has several events scheduled this summer and the first couple are here...
A huge favorite of local blues fans, BIG JIM ADAMS will perform a Barn Raising Concert to benefit Venetucci Farm on June 28th in the barn at Venetucci. Click here for tickets to all Rocky Mountain Highway events. The barn will make for a magical night...
The Mountain Of The Sun concerts return to the lovely Aspen Valley Ranch this summer with THE IGUANAS in
concert on July 26th out at Again -
incredible music in extraordinary venues! Check out The Iguanas here
on their recent Mountain Stage appearance. This is an excellent opportunity to catch an bit of New Orleans history in beautiful mountain surroundings. Tickets available at Ticketfly.
One last set of Rocky Mountain Highway concerts to look out for is the Raven Nest House Concerts up at Aspen Valley Ranch as well. The first of these will take place in Woodland Park at Aspen Valley Ranch:
The Soulstice Boys: Brendan Hannigan & Taylor Weimar
Saturday, June 21
Tickets: $8 at the door
Join us on the Summer Solstice as the Soulstice Boys (an impromptu all-star
duo formed by long-time friends and colleagues Brendan Hannigan and
Taylor Weimer) bravely explore the classic American traditions
of blues, soul, rock 'n' roll, and roots music in an intimate,
improvisational acoustic context. Genre-defying original material
interspersed with bold reinterpretations of classic tunes. Lovers of
acoustic music, classic Americana, and great vocal harmonies won't be
Peter Mulvey - Stargazers
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/20/2014 - 22:14 ] #
One of our favorites is headed this way... Unfortunately - Daughter number 1 is graduating from college right around the same time! Peter Mulvey has a new CD out -"Silver Ladder" and Marc can't believe that he's going to miss this CD release tour. Peter will be playing June 12th over at Stargazers on the East side of town.
Check out one of the cuts from his latest release here, "What Else Was It". Awesome, as always. Peter's lyrics and that all penetrating voice cast their spell all over again. We trust that you'll support him, even though he's not here at the house.
THIS WEEKEND: MeadowGrass!
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/20/2014 - 21:54 ] #
Incredible music in extraordinary places.
THAT is what MeadowGrass is all about. Take a listen to the Duhks "'Ol Cook Pot", or Elephant Revival's "Remembering a Beginning" or venture in to the funky world of The Mother Hips. Chad Stokes, of Dispatch and State Radio, displays what he's about on this TedTalk from Boston. He'll play on Saturday night up at La Foret.
After the bit of Spring/Summer weather we've had this week, it's really going to be a memorable weekend. The three day tickets are a bargain considering all the music that you'll get! We hope you'll join us.
|<< | November 2014 | >>|