- Whitney Luckett [ 4/19/2014 - 22:03 ] # Please send checks made out to FHC to the following address or buy your tickets on line at Eventbrite.Friends House ConcertsPO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Zoe LewisDate: Friday, May 2, 2014Time: 7:30 PM Doors Open: 7:00 PMArtist Donation: $20Chris SmitherDate: Sunday September 14, 2014Time: 7:00 PM Doors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30
Eilen Jewell And Band At The House
- Whitney Luckett [ 3/16/2014 - 09:47 ] #In less than a week we're pleased to welcome back Eilen Jewell and her touring band to the FHC stage. Well - with a full drum set, we really have to take the stage out, but in theory... Eilen is playing the following night to sold out crowd at ETown up in Boulder. We're confused about why there are still open seats for Saturday's show.
Serendipity strikes every once in a while and discovering Eilen's uber-talented guitar player, Jerry G. Miller, was one of those times. INCREDIBLE guitar player... Please take a look at this SXSW video embedded in this Pollstar interview and then click this link to get your tickets?!
Upcoming Friends House Concert Shows
- Whitney Luckett [ 1/25/2014 - 11:41 ] # Please send checks made out to FHC to the following address or buy your tickets on line at Eventbrite.Friends House ConcertsPO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Eilen JewellDate: Saturday March 22, 2014Time: 7:30 PM Doors Open: 7:00 PMArtist Donation: $25Mollie O'Brien & Rich MooreDate: Saturday April 12, 2014Time: 7:30 PM Doors Open: 7:00 PMArtist Donation: $25Zoe LewisDate: Friday, May 2, 2014Time: 7:30 PM Doors Open: 7:00 PMArtist Donation: $20Chris SmitherDate: Sunday September 14, 2014Time: 7:00 PM Doors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30
Mollie O'Brien & Rich Moore - April 12th
- Whitney Luckett [ 1/25/2014 - 11:16 ] #
Come out and enjoy April's ALMOST full moon up on the hill with Mollie O'Brien & Rich Moore. Those lucky enough to attend the "O'Brien Party of 7" concert a couple of years ago have seen Mollie & Rich here before. Their pedigree stands on its own, but mentioning that Mollie is Tim O'Brien's sister further supports it. We've wanted to get Rich & Mollie back to Friends House Concerts and schedules are finally working out.
Mollie has been a guest 13 times on NPR's Mountain Stage and here's a bit from their last visit there.
Zoe Lewis Finishes our 2013-14 Season - May 2nd
- Whitney Luckett [ 1/25/2014 - 10:52 ] #
Zoe holds a very special place in our hearts and she's been a part of the Luckett family for decades. Zoe's talent for entertaining the crowd just can't be captured on video. Her high energy shows in combination with her multi-instrumental capabilities will make for an incredibly uplifting show here up on the hill to close out our 2013-14 Season. For those that have seen her before - this video with the inspiration behind "Those Eyelashes" will bring a smile to your day.
It really is impossible to categorize her music, but this review from Nippertown.com rang true with us: "Lewis'
sound was all over the musical spectrum. Some tunes were straight
contemporary British-Irish-American folk, while others drew on Latin,
jazz, funk, swing, cabaret and pop influences." Come out and enjoy the budding Spring evening (HOPEFULLY) with us in May.
Smither Returns To FHC - September 14th
- Whitney Luckett [ 1/25/2014 - 10:21 ] #
Those who have been around long enough know that Whitney's original goal (after which she would stop this house concert nonsense) was to have Chris Smither play at the house. We're lucky enough to have him here for the third, well, technically fourth time this Fall. Coming originally out of New Orleans, Chris' signature combination of rhythmic foot tapping, intricate finger picking, bluesman's vocals AND incredible song writing will blow your mind. Said Rolling Stone magazine: "Smither's stoic reflection and
foxy wit are bathed in the flickering glow of passing headlights and
neon bar signs. And Smither's roots are as blue as they come. There is
plenty of misty Louisiana and Lightnin' Hopkins in Smither's weathered
singing and unhurried picking...So fine." Heady words yes - but only because the subject is such a great wordsmith himself!
End of story? You don't want to miss this show and it will sell out! Here's classic Chris from just about the last time he was here. For a longer glimpse of him, check out this ABC video. As he says in the first song here, "Tomorrow is just a grand plan from yesterday." (LaRue - this one's for you!)
Rocky Mountain Highway Launches
- Whitney Luckett [ 1/11/2014 - 21:03 ] #We are very pleased to announce the launching of Rocky Mountain Highway, a new component fund of the Pikes Peak Community Fund. The fund has it origins on many discussions over the years between Steve Harris, Laurel Biederman, Michael Hannigan, Marty Harper and Whitney Luckett. We come together to cultivate music here in the Pikes Peak region. Here's an article from Thursday's Gazette explaining more about our organization.
We folded Friends House Concerts in to the non-profit, be assured we promise to deliver the same high quality shows you have enjoyed here for the last 14+ years!
Schedule Change - Erika & Lisa
- Whitney Luckett [ 1/11/2014 - 20:24 ] #Dear All,
Bad news first, due to unforeseen circumstances, we are very sorry to announce the cancellation of the Erika & Lisa concert scheduled for later this month. We will refund all Eventbrite tickets and return checks or destroy them here. We have an inside track with the artists, so we will try to get them here later this year!
Friends House Concerts
Willy Porter is NOT Sold Out?!
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/27/2013 - 15:46 ] #Chalking it up to Seasonal Attention Deficit Disorder, I'm correcting the date below...
Oh the horror! (Willy from the concert here last year...)
It's probably just a year end thing, but this is the first time that we've gotten within two weeks of a Willy Porter concert and there are still seats left?! Sense does not make!
We can't think of a better way to end the holiday season than at a house concert, front row, laughing at the antics of and in awe of the mastery of Willy Porter. Willy will be here in just a few days - Saturday, January 4th. Ring in 2014 with good laughs and great music. Click here for your tickets.
If you've never been to a Willy Porter solo show, take a look at the link here and just imagine him about 10 feet in front of you. When Whitney's mom died last year, this was the soundtrack to her memorial.
See you up on the hill in the New Year!
Big Thank You
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/2/2013 - 20:15 ] #Huge thank you to all who enjoyed the Steel Wheels concert here last month. We had an incredible 24 hours with the band. Continue to get the word out about the evenings here at the house. The concerts just get better as the years go by. And fly by they do...
We have holes, INTENTIONALLY, in the schedule next year because there are a couple of artists we want to bring through. We will tell you as we fill the spots in. Looking forward to seeing you up here on the hill!
- Friends House Concerts
Erika & Lisa - Leaning Toward The Good
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/2/2013 - 19:42 ] #
Our first-ever-artist-here, Erika, returns with Lisa Ferraro in late January. The duo just finished SUCCESSFULLY their first Kickstarter campaign and raised over $35,000 for their latest recording.
In fact, they will be here JUST AFTER they finish the recording of their newest CD - "Leaning Toward The Good". We've been blessed and have heard several of the new pieces - as incredible as all their prior work. Erika's playing and Lisa's harmonies couldn't be tighter.
PLEASE join us up here on the hill for another great evening of music... everything from Folk to Rock to the Bossa Nova! For those of you Erika & Lisa Newbies.... Something on Erika, something on Lisa and snippets from of one of my favorites....
January Will Be Big!
- Whitney Luckett [ 10/29/2013 - 00:50 ] #We have two concerts in January that should be wonderful: Willy Porter followed by Erika & Lisa - both acts perennial favorites here up on the hill. We'll send more information out about those concerts in the next couple of weeks.
Get your tickets before they sell out!
Steel Wheels Sold out!
- Whitney Luckett [ 10/29/2013 - 00:39 ] #
We are excited to say that we are sold out for the upcoming Steel Wheels show here at the house. Just to confirm we do have seats for the last couple of checks that arrived at the PO Box, including:
Mary F. - 4
Clay T. - 2
Skip - 4
If you would like to be put on the standby list - please contact us at: email@example.com or 719.385.0031
- Whitney Luckett [ 10/23/2013 - 08:41 ] #
Friends... I can't believe that there are still seats left for our season opener!
You really don't want to miss Steel Wheels in two weeks here at the house. There is an energy about this band that is almost magical. In fact, critics agree:
"Americana, made by hand." - NPR Music
Mumford and Sons, The Avett Brothers and Old Crow Medicine could all
learn something from these cats." That's what I said last year when I
pegged "Rain In The Valley" as the second best song of the year. Nothing
has changed except that they keep getting better. "I Will Love You" is
gorgeous in its simplicity.”
Michael Verity – No Depression
RMWFF - Movie Night Out
- Whitney Luckett [ 10/23/2013 - 08:27 ] #I suspect that you are all already in the know, BUT on the off chance that you're not, seriously consider attending this year's Rocky Mountain Women's Film Festival, November 1-3.
When we first moved here almost 14 years ago, my family made sure that I spent the weekend going in and out of powerful, poignant, funny films for a solid two days and that hooked me!
This year the festival is trying something new, a music-centered film on Saturday night and live music for a funky night out. While the music of the film may not be our normal cup of tea (punk music), we've heard that the film is excellent. You remember where you were when punk music burst on the scene... I was living in Germany and hanging out in Cologne.
Come out and support an incredible film festival this year - the first weekend in November. Click here for information on the Saturday night bash.
|<< | April 2014 | >>|