Big Thank You
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/2/2013 - 20:15 ] #Huge thank you to all who enjoyed the Steel Wheels concert here last month. We had an incredible 24 hours with the band. Continue to get the word out about the evenings here at the house. The concerts just get better as the years go by. And fly by they do...
We have holes, INTENTIONALLY, in the schedule next year because there are a couple of artists we want to bring through. We will tell you as we fill the spots in. Looking forward to seeing you up here on the hill!
- Friends House Concerts
And here again - Willy Porter, the sage of Milwaukee!?
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/2/2013 - 19:57 ] #Too much travel over Thanksgiving stripped me of my senses - so apologies to Willy Porter. Mr. Porter will grace the stage here just after the first of the year. If you haven't been to a Willy Porter show here, you may be scratching your head about all of this, but trust me, you don't want to miss this.
Besides being an insightful writer, a monster player, and a master improvisor, he interacts wonderfully with the audience.
Here's a taste of him from a recent interview, but probably best to see him here and then put your order in for tickets before we sell out - as we always do...
Erika & Lisa - Leaning Toward The Good
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/2/2013 - 19:42 ] #
Our first-ever-artist-here, Erika, returns with Lisa Ferraro in late January. The duo is in the midst of a Kickstarter campaign to cover the financing of this project. Many of you have been fans for over a decade now, and you've been marvelously supportive in the past. They have 13 days left in this kickstarter campaign and they're about half way to their goal of $35,000 to pay for the recording of their latest venture.
In fact, they will be here JUST AFTER they finish the recording of their newest CD - "Leaning Toward The Good". (For some reason, I keep calling it "Bending Towards The Light"... What's with that?!) We've been blessed and have heard several of the new pieces - as incredible as all their prior work. Erika's playing and Lisa's harmonies couldn't be tighter.
We've kicked in on their campaign, if you would like to as well, please take a look here.
Regardless - PLEASE join us up here on the hill for another great evening of music... everything from Folk to Rock to the Bossa Nova! For those of you Erika & Lisa Newbies.... Something on Erika, something on Lisa and snippets from of one of my favorites....
January Will Be Big!
- Whitney Luckett [ 10/29/2013 - 00:50 ] #We have two concerts in January that should be wonderful: Willy Porter followed by Erika & Lisa - both acts perennial favorites here up on the hill. We'll send more information out about those concerts in the next couple of weeks.
Get your tickets before they sell out!
Steel Wheels Sold out!
- Whitney Luckett [ 10/29/2013 - 00:39 ] #
We are excited to say that we are sold out for the upcoming Steel Wheels show here at the house. Just to confirm we do have seats for the last couple of checks that arrived at the PO Box, including:
Mary F. - 4
Clay T. - 2
Skip - 4
If you would like to be put on the standby list - please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 719.385.0031
- Whitney Luckett [ 10/23/2013 - 08:41 ] #
Friends... I can't believe that there are still seats left for our season opener!
You really don't want to miss Steel Wheels in two weeks here at the house. There is an energy about this band that is almost magical. In fact, critics agree:
"Americana, made by hand." - NPR Music
Mumford and Sons, The Avett Brothers and Old Crow Medicine could all
learn something from these cats." That's what I said last year when I
pegged "Rain In The Valley" as the second best song of the year. Nothing
has changed except that they keep getting better. "I Will Love You" is
gorgeous in its simplicity.”
Michael Verity – No Depression
RMWFF - Movie Night Out
- Whitney Luckett [ 10/23/2013 - 08:27 ] #I suspect that you are all already in the know, BUT on the off chance that you're not, seriously consider attending this year's Rocky Mountain Women's Film Festival, November 1-3.
When we first moved here almost 14 years ago, my family made sure that I spent the weekend going in and out of powerful, poignant, funny films for a solid two days and that hooked me!
This year the festival is trying something new, a music-centered film on Saturday night and live music for a funky night out. While the music of the film may not be our normal cup of tea (punk music), we've heard that the film is excellent. You remember where you were when punk music burst on the scene... I was living in Germany and hanging out in Cologne.
Come out and support an incredible film festival this year - the first weekend in November. Click here for information on the Saturday night bash.
Upcoming Shows 2013-14 Season
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/29/2013 - 12:04 ] # You can buy tickets for the concerts at Eventbrite or the old-fashioned way and send a check to our PO Box:Friends House ConcertsPO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Willy PorterDate: Saturday, January 4, 2014Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 7:00 PMArtist Donation: $30 Erika Luckett & Lisa FerraroDate: Saturday, January 25, 2014Time: 7:30 PM Doors Open: 7:00 PMArtist Donation: $30Zoe Lewis
Date: Friday, May 2, 2014
Time: 7:30 PM Doors Open: 7:00 PMArtist Donation: $20
Steel Wheels Here Friday November 8th!
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/29/2013 - 09:36 ] #We thought we would start off the 2013-14 series here at the house with the soulful mountain music of Steel Wheels. Last Spring I wanted to surprise my oldest with a concert on her 21st birthday and I stumbled upon this incredible roots music group playing a house concert in Northern California. The blending of their voices, their mastery of their instruments, their incredibly positive energy up on the stage... This all combined for an unforgettable 21st birthday. Imagine this under the stars in a California backyard.
We had to invite them here to the house. Only after we signed the contract did we learn about their emphasis on community and the incredible music festival that coalesced around them this summer... There cannot be a better way to start this Fall's concerts here at the house. Join us, won't you?!
Quick Clarification - Beverages Tomorrow Night
- Whitney Luckett [ 6/15/2013 - 18:37 ] #Peter is over at eTown tonight in Boulder and very much looking forward to tomorrow's show here.
Please remember that tomorrow's concert is at The Ivywild School over at 1604 South Cascade. It's a wonderful new community center in the South Tejon Street area. It is the brainchild of Joseph Coleman (The Blue Star) and Mike Bristol (Bristol Brewery). Bristol has moved over to the school and there is also "The Principal's Office" serving innovative cocktails & wine. In light of this, we will not have a BYOB concert like we do here at the house. We will be back to that in September!
I'm not sure if the deli is going to be open tomorrow night, so please make sure that you eat before you come over. Doors open at 6:30. There are still SOME seats available, so encourage friends to show up and pay at the door. See you tomorrow!
- Whitney Luckett [ 6/11/2013 - 13:10 ] #Dear All,
We were over at the newly opened Ivywild School complex this week and that put us to thinking.... To make a long story short - we're going to move THIS SUNDAY'S concert - Peter Mulvey - over to the Ivywild School. The new complex is all about community and brings together lots of great stuff - Bristol Brewery, a Deli, The Principal's office (a cool bar), The Old School Bakery and a PPCF Farm to Table store with more in the wings... We share their emphasis on community, so what better way to demonstrate it?
We consider ourselves very lucky to be able to host the first concert in the new Ivywild Gym space. Peter Mulvey is going to be just awesome over there. Can you think of a better way to spend a Father's Day evening? Please join us over The Gym? Click here for tickets and come out to support this up and coming new hangout!
Ivywild School is at 1604 S. Cascade, down on Cascade just a stones throw from The Blue Star. The details are the same as here at the house - $25 concert ticket, 6:30 doors open for a 7:00 concert.
Please spread the word and hopefully we will see you Sunday!
While We're Away...
- Whitney Luckett [ 6/4/2013 - 10:47 ] #We're working on another season of live music for you. We have November squared away with The Steel Wheels - a bit of Old Tyme Music for a change. I took Maxine & several friends to see them in California and they were awesome. Willy (just like a concert here...) will be back in February and I'm pushing for Chris Smither.
Other series to think about this summer while we're on hiatus...
Peter Mulvey - Last Show of the Season...
- Whitney Luckett [ 6/4/2013 - 10:31 ] #Checking in on what Peter's been doing brought up this photo of a gig in Cambridge with Goody by his side. Now just tell me that you wouldn't have wanted to be in audience (or back stage) for that one!?! We're going to be changing the format of concerts next year a bit - so in a way - this is the last of the pure Friends House Concerts series. Join us won't you? Marc and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary with one of our favorite artists... There are still TOO MANY seats open for this one. Peter's intricate lyrics, magnificent chops and storytelling on stage will make for another incredible evening up on the hill. Just watch him here - then click here to buy tickets! If you act this week, you could send a check to our PO Box.Friends House ConcertsPO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Peter MulveyDate: Sunday June 16, 2013Time: 7:00 PMDoors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $25 made out to Friends House ConcertsAdded bonus track: Peter w/ Jeffrey Foucault about songwriting or why I love this guy!
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/17/2013 - 23:23 ] #As we take the summer off, you won't miss us because there is all kinds of incredible music in different venues. We just wanted to give you the heads up on two Americana festivals... Over Memorial day weekend, La Foret up north & KRCC are presenting the Meadowgrass Music Festival. The lineup looks like a lot of fun.
In late June, we'll be up at the Mountain Of The Sun Music Festival in Woodland Park. The setting there is not to be missed. We've been there every year and it just keeps getting better! Tony Furtado's latest video promises a fantastic end of the evening show...
Raven Nest Summer Concert Series
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/17/2013 - 22:54 ] # |
|<< | December 2013 | >>|