- Whitney Luckett [ 2/21/2015 - 21:48 ] #We hope on this snowy Winter's eve that you are all safe & warm at home. The weather is a bit crazy out there and we had to weave in and out of accidents on Uintah earlier this evening. Be careful and stay home! NOW is the perfect time to pick up time to pick up tickets to next Saturday's show here at the house.
Seth & Peter will be the last concerts of the season as the Lucketts are getting ready to upgrade the kitchen to make it worthy of Marc's culinary skills! We hope to see you soon, or it will be June until we're sure that the kitchen is done...
Peter Mulvey in March
- Whitney Luckett [ 2/1/2015 - 15:36 ] #
Gifted singer, songwriter Peter Mulvey will grace the FHC stage again in March. The last two times he has been through town, he hasn't been here at the house and we welcome him back with arms wide open. Peter's latest album, Siver Ladder was released last year to critical acclaim.
As the Boston Globe says of Peter, “Peter Mulvey is all substance, which is his style.” Truer words were never spoken. Join us in March for another intimate evening up on the hill with great music and good company.
Prices Going Up On MeadowGrass Tickets
- Whitney Luckett [ 2/1/2015 - 15:16 ] #
We just want to give you a heads up that ticket prices for this year's MeadowGrass are going up on Sunday. You REALLY want to get in there at today's prices. Look for the announcement of the lineup very soon - maybe even tomorrow! You can find instructions on the Rocky Mountain Highway website.
There are very limited camping spots left as well as limited on-site parking still available. Treat yourself at this year's festival by adding on the VIP package to your order. Join us for nightly receptions and awesome special perks.
There may still be a couple of spots for volunteers, if you are interested please contact RMH at email@example.com. Some volunteers are elibigle for camping passes as well. MAYBE even a private volunteers only concert. You never know what's going to pop up at La Foret!
FHC Upcoming Shows
- Whitney Luckett [ 2/1/2015 - 14:37 ] #Hopefully you got a chance to catch Willy Porter at the house last month. We honestly think that was his best show ever here. Wow... Tickets for Seth Glier and Peter Mulvey are currently on sale at Eventbrite. If you have any questions, please give us a shout at: 719-385-0031 Seth GlierDate: Saturday, February 28, 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $25Peter MulveyDate: Saturday March 21, 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $30
Seth Glier Next Weekend!
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/20/2014 - 13:36 ] #
We open our home to Seth Glier again next Saturday. We're keeping our fingers crossed that the snow stays away! If you haven't spent the evening with this thoughtful, talented singer songwriter, you really ought to. We rarely see 50 year olds as grounded as this young man. At his 20-something age he is a national spokesman for the Autism Awareness Foundation and has lent his talents to that worthwhile cause.
From his website: Massachusetts based singer/songwriter/pianist/guitarist
Seth Glier is a seasoned troubadour. Averaging over 250+ live
performances annually, Seth has gone from opening act to headlining his
own shows and playing major folk festivals. He’s shared the stage with
artists as diverse as James Taylor, Ani DiFranco, Martin Sexton, Emmylou
Harris and Ryan Adams and has quickly become known for his passionate
live sets. Airplay for his Grammy® Nominated album "The Next Right
Thing" included a #1 chart position on Clear Channel's NEW! DISCOVER
& UNCOVER Program.
Seth has become increasingly comfortable expressing his
social beliefs, both onstage and off. In 2012 he took home Best Social
Action Song for his track “The Next Right Thing” at the 11th Annual
Independent Music Awards, his second IMA win. Last year Seth joined
forces with Child Fund International
as an artist partner, and since has helped over 100 children find
sponsors. Seth believes strongly in using his voice to help shine a
light; in the past he has worked with numerous organizations including
ROCK THE VOTE, Autism Speaks, Musicians On Call, Feeding America and
Coats For Kids.From our point of view - we're just grateful that he includes us in on his tour schedule because he's an incredible artist to get to spend the afternoon and evening with.
Next Up - Willy Porter
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/20/2014 - 13:06 ] #
We're going to start out our 2015 with the ultimately talented & entertaining Willy Porter in the house January 17th. He will have his new CD here with him, "Human Kindness". We've come such a long way since his first concert here in 10 YEARS AGO?! Anybody there that night knows that Mr. Porter incurred the wrath of Whitney following the whole lead up to the concert and his rendition of Wonderful Day in the Neighborhood! There is so much to say about how insanely talented Willy is, but this quote from Shelia Moeschen on Huffington Post is about the best we've seen in low these many years.
"Porter is a guitar virtuoso whose acoustic
acrobatics often leave audiences both wrung-out and panting for more. An
accomplished lyricist, Porter knows how to turn a phrase for comedic
effect (the bawdy new tune "Fast Food Sex Sandwich" comes to mind), and
how to open up the introspective spaces in a haunting breakup song like
"What Became of Us." His connection with the crowd is easy, relaxed, and
genuine, making the experience feel a little less like a show and more
like getting to hang out with one of your favorite college buddies --
that is, until Porter unleashes his incendiary guitar picking. Then
there is no mistaking that you are buckled in for an unforgettable
musical ride."And expect another unforgettable musical ride in January up here on the hill. Get your tickets soon - he always sells out!
FHC Upcoming Gigs
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/20/2014 - 12:51 ] # PO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Willy PorterDate: Saturday, January 17, 2014Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30Seth GlierDate: Saturday, February 28, 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $25Peter MulveyDate: Mid-Late March 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $30 We're still working out details for the next two shoes with Peter Mulvey & Steve Poltz concerts, but you can buy Willy Porter or Seth Glier tickets on Eventbrite. Or you can send a check to:
Friends House Concerts
Steve PoltzDate: Mid-April 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $30
- Whitney Luckett [ 11/29/2014 - 23:43 ] #We open the doors next Sunday night and hope to have you join us for the second concert of the season. You can buy your tickets on line at Eventbrite. Friends House ConcertsPO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Cheryl WheelerDate: Sunday December 7, 2014Time: 7:00 PMDoors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30Willy PorterDate: Saturday, January 17, 2014Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30Seth GlierDate: Saturday, February 28, 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $25
Willy Porter Cuts Through The Winter Gloom
- Whitney Luckett [ 11/29/2014 - 10:55 ] #The new year starts with Willy Porter coming through in mid-January. The following is from the Summit Daily last August:
Guitarist and singer-songwriter Willy Porter
describes himself as a musical mutt, blending funk, acoustic, rock ’n’
roll, folk, jazz, finger-style and other tunes.
“It’s all of that,” said the musician from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. “It’s
kind of a unique blend. I don’t say that with any ego; it’s just how
it’s been described by everyone else.”
Porter’s influences range from Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young
to Duke Ellington, Tom Waits and the Jackson 5. He said he looks at
music as an equal-opportunity art form.
“It doesn’t matter if it’s out of tune, badly played punk or if it’s
Stravinsky, I love everything,” he said. “I say that with no pretense;
it’s just the truth.”
Join us for another incredible evening with Willy Porter.
Cheryl Wheeler Here Next Sunday!
- Whitney Luckett [ 11/29/2014 - 10:49 ] #We are thrilled to welcome back Cheryl Wheeler for another December night up on the hill. It's kind of like having your curmudgeonly big sister visit - the one who
says she despises your kids, but secretly really adores them? And
you, in turn, hope that your kids grow up with even a fraction of her
wit, her talent and her intelligence!
It's hard to describe how sharp her wit is, but take a look at this
and then join us for another great evening here. Her shows here at Friends House Concerts
are marvelous because she's so close to the audience and THAT, my friends, is a game
changer. Come join us and see what we mean!
Date: Sunday December 7th
Time: 7:00 PM
Tickets: $30 in advance
Richard Shindell - Wednesday November 12
- Whitney Luckett [ 10/16/2014 - 20:38 ] #Live - AT THE HOUSE - not an outside venue - we are excited to present singer / songwriter Richard Shindell. Richard lives in Buenos Aires and rarely tours in the United States, but we were lucky enough to get a chance to bring him through, albeit on a Wednesday night. The chance to be up close and personal with songwriters like Richard is what this series is all about.
We first heard Richard back in 1998 when Whitney fell under his spell as he comprised one third of Cry, Cry, Cry and covered the story of the Montana firefighters caught in a raging fire in Cold Missouri Waters. Reviewers from LA Weekly to USA Today to the New York Times to the Wall Street Journal have lauded his work. His ability to tell stories authentically from many points of view remains his strong suit.
Please join us for what promises to be an exceptional evening with master singer / songwriter?!
Shindell is a master builder of songs,
yet always leading listeners toward the emotional essence of the moment
or character he is evoking. As with all master craftsmen, knowing what
to leave out is as important to him as what he puts in. Shindell has
uncanny sense of the theater of a song, building his ballads sparely and
subtly, set to sweeping graceful melodies.
by SCOTT ALARICK, The Boston Globe
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/13/2014 - 20:10 ] # Friends House
Concert Series returns next month - please send checks made out to FHC
to the following address or buy your tickets on line at Eventbrite.
Friends House Concerts
PO Box 38943
Colorado Springs, CO 80937
Date: WEDNESDAY November 12, 2014
Time: 7:15 PM
Doors Open: 6:15
Artist Donation: $30
Date: Sunday December 7, 2014
Time: 7:00 PM
Doors Open: 6:30 PM
Artist Donation: $30
Date: Saturday, January 17, 2014
Time: 7:30 PM
Doors Open: 6:30 PM
Artist Donation: $30
TOMORROW!!! Chris Smither
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/13/2014 - 19:50 ] #Tomorrow night is Chris Smither at the BEST new commercial venue in town, the Gold Room, over next to the Wyndham Mining Exchange downtown. HOPEFULLY you were able to join us for the BASKERY show, but if you weren't, you really missed an amazing evening!
But you can see a guaranteed great show in this Art Deco room tomorrow night when Chris Smither comes to town again. You all know what a fan Whitney is of Chris Smither, so you can understand what a big deal it was for us to give up his concert here at the house. To get a taste of what he's like, check out the Music FOG video on this prototype of our new Rocky Mountain Highway website.
Click here and pick up a pair of tickets for tomorrow night's show. It will be incredible. LaRue - this one's for you!
- Whitney Luckett [ 8/24/2014 - 21:25 ] #A special thank you to all who have ALREADY contacted us about volunteering for Rocky Mountain Highway. We will have so much fun as the concert series gears up, not to mention next year at MeadowGrass! There is still room for volunteers to get involved in many different ways: volunteering at festivals, organizing events. Please contact us here.
Baskery Opens The Gold Room Concert Series This Coming Sunday
- Whitney Luckett [ 8/24/2014 - 20:12 ] #These three Swedish sisters (how do you think that we pulled in Absolut as a sponsor?!) self describe themselves as Banjopunk. Hmmmm While we're not quite sure what that really means, but we do enjoy their videos and have seen nothing but rave reviews of their work.
Join us for the first of our Gold Room Concert Series. Click here for tickets to the PERFECT way to spend the last weekend of summer.
|<< | March 2015 | >>|